Performing Arts prev < Science > next Team Sport
Scouts Proficiency Badges
To gain the Science badge you must complete one task from each of A, B and C.
Show you have an interest, have learnt about and have improved your knowledge in a field of science.
Range: physical, chemical science, medicine, biology, botany, zoology, entomology, veterinary science, geography and geology.
1. Find out two harmful effects of insect sprays.
2. Explain what is meant by the 'scientific method'.
3. Know your native birds and animals found in your area.
4. Research a special technique used by experimenters in the scientific field of your choice and be able to explain why the technique is important.
1. Design a game that uses or tests scientific knowledge.
2. Know the standard circuit symbols for eight electrical components, e.g. capacitor, earth, etc.
3. Find the names of and be able to identify 10 native birds and 5 native animals found in your area.
4. Describe an experiment illustrating the use of scientific method.
5. Understand any dangers or safety requirements associated with a chemical experiment and an experiment with laboratory animals.
1. Produce a game that uses or tests scientific knowledge.
2. Construct a rain gauge and wind vane and use them to record weather observations for two weeks.
3. Explain how stalacites and stalagmites are formed.
4. Visit a scientific laboratory or place where research is carried out.
You can download an examination sheet.