Commerce prev < Communication > next Community
Scouts Proficiency Badges
To gain the Communication badge you must complete one task from each of A, B and C.
Show you have an interest in, have learnt about and have an improved proficiency in some form of communication.
1. Find out about the earliest forms of communication. e.g. sign, smoke signals, cave paintings.
2. Find out about the history of particular kind of communication.
3. Find out about current developments in international communications.
4. Find out about the history of a language other than your own.
5. Find out about the latest technology being used for your communications (e.g. satellite).
1. Draft, edit and proof read an article for a magazine or paper.
2. Learn and use the call signs of the phonetic alphabet for the use on short wave radio, e.g. CB, HF, UHF.
3. Learn and use information technology (IT) communication, e.g. e-mail, SMS, messaging, Internet
4. Send and receive a message of at least 20 words using semaphore or Morse code.
5. In a language other than your own, translate an easy passage from a book or periodical. You can use sign if you wish.
1. Draft, edit and create a news-sheet in any media format for your Patrol, Troop or Group. Include activities that you have undertaken in the past month.
2. Help set up an amateur radio base.
3. Using walkie-talkies, semaphore or Morse code, organise and run a wide game for your Troop.
4. Carry out a simple conversation in a language other than your own.
5. Conduct a Patrol Council using telephone/chat room/video conferencing with all of your Patrol at the one time.
You can download an examination sheet.