Animal Keeper prev < Anthropology > next Art
Scouts Proficiency Badges
To gain the Anthropology badge you must complete one task from each of A, B and C.
Anthropology is the fascinating study of the human race. It covers the development of the human societies from prehistoric time through to the future. Your aim is to show that you have an interest in, have learned about, improved your knowledge, and have an understanding in an aspect of Anthropology.
Range: Prehistory and history, human race, politics, present society, culture and religion.
1. Find out two differing views on how man developed over time.
2. Learn legends from three different cultures and tell them to your Patrol.
3. Find out about the first Scout camp at Brownsea Island and explain to your Patrol or Troop how Scout camps have changed over the years.
1. With your Patrol or alone, visit a museum and report on a particular culture exhibited there. Perhaps you could make a drawing and then build a model or replica of artifacts or crafts. Plaster modeling can be fun.
2. Prepare and deliver an illustrated talk to your Patrol or other audience, using visual aids such as wall charts, any electronic means or a culture item related to your chosen subject.
1. Prepare a meal from a different culture for your Patrol.
2. Visit a museum and find out what artifacts have been found from a particular culture. Tell your Patrol how people lived 1000 years ago.
3. Construct and demonstrate the use of a tool or utensil from a culture more than 1000 years old.
You can download an examination sheet.