Badges prev < Abseiling > next Agriculture
Scouts Proficiency Badges
To gain the Abseiling badge you must complete, with your Patrol or other Scouts and the appropriate qualified persons, all of the requirements for A, B and C.
Participants must have attained the age of 11 years.
Abseil must be single pitch, no greater than 50 metres.
All abseiling activities to comply with State safety regulations
Prior to abseil, demonstrate precautions applicable to abseiling including:
1. approaching cliffs
2. safe distance to cliff edge
3. the need to restrain loose hair and clothing
4. knowledge of standard communication conventions used in abseiling.
Demonstrate thorough knowledge of:
1. tape knot, including tie offs
2. figure 8 on a bight
3. the correct fitting of a harness
4. clipping onto the abseil rope
5. checking the system and the importance of having a second person check the system
6. a mock abseil on flat ground
7. suitable protective clothing for all seasons
8. the importance of using appropriate equipment and ropes
9. the basic rules for the use and care of equipment
1. Undertake five abseils.
You can download an examination sheet.